***ATTENTION! As we navigate amidst concerns related to the COVID virus, Transylvania County is taking measures to limit the access to county buildings. Effective on MONDAY,MARCH 30,2020 we will begin limiting access thru the main entrance doors of the Register of Deeds. The exterior doors will be locked and anyone needing services will need to call 828-884-3162 for assistance. As you know, many of our services can be obtained online or by phone and we will encourage that as the first option.
FOR INFORMATION ON HOW TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE PLEASE VISIT OUR MARRIAGE INFORMATION PAGE.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CLOSINGS AND HOLIDAYS PLEASE VISIT OUR CLOSINGS & HOLIDAYS PAGE.
ABOUT REGISTER OF DEEDS
The Register of Deeds is the custodian and manager of a large number of public records. The public records archived in our office include: Transylvania County real estate transactions, vital records (Transylvania County births and deaths) and marriage licenses issued in Transylvania County. We are also honored to serve our retired military by recording their form DD214 military discharges.
The care, maintenance and access to these public records are governed by law. It is the mission of the Transylvania County Register of Deeds to record, preserve and provide access to these real estate and vital records in an efficient manner according to the North Carolina General Statutes. The Transylvania County Register of Deeds staff is fully committed to providing courteous and professional service to our customers.
DEEDS AND REAL ESTATE
For more information on recordings, fees for documents, and more please visit Recording Real Estate & More page.
VITAL RECORDS (BIRTH, DEATH, AND MARRIAGE)
- All Certified copies are $10.00
- Uncertified copies are $0.25
For more information on fees and processes please visit our Vital Records Page.
If you would like to order a Certified Copy of a Vital Record, go to NCVitals.com and the site will guide you through the process. The charge is $10 per certified copy with a $1.00 processing fee.
Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:30AM and 4:00PM, Monday through Friday. Allow at least 20 to 30 minutes to process.
You may obtain a marriage license in any county in the state and get married in any county, but the license MUST be returned to county of issuance.
In a hurry? Get a head start an fill out the application ahead of time. To submit an online application for marriage license please go to our Online Marriage Application. Once you complete the form you must submit the application in order for us to receive it.
For more information on fees, and processes please visit Marriage Information page.
- Deeds and other documents 1 through 15 pages. $26
- Deeds of Trust 1 through 35 pages. $64
- Each additional page: $4 per page (Deeds, Deeds of Trust & other documents)
- Additional (multi-instrument) $10
- Non-Standard Document. $25.00+ recording fee. To view NC Recording Standards click here.
- Satisfaction/Cancellation. NO CHARGE
- Plats/ Maps. $21.00 (Mylar- 18x24)
* WHEN MAILING DOCUMENTS TO BE RECORDED PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT OFFER UPS OR FEDEX MAIL RETURN SERVICES. IF THE SENDER HAS ENCLOSED A PREPAID ENVELOPE THROUGH UPS OR FEDEX THAT DOES IN THE PACKAGE, WE CAN ACCEPT THAT AND THE DOCUMENTS WILL BE RETURNED IN THAT ENVELOPE. If you have questions in regards to this please contact us at 828-884-3162.
For further information on recording and document fees please visit the Recording, Real Estate & More page.
MILITARY DISCHARGE INFORMATION
Military Discharges may be registered at no charge in the Transylvania County Register of Deeds Office. Certified copies of registered discharges are also issued in person at no charge.
In accordance with North Carolina General Statute 47-113.2, the parties authorized to access discharge documents are limited to the following:
- The veteran or the veteran's widow or widower.
- Agents and representatives of the veteran authorized in writing:
- By veteran or veteran's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
- By a court to represent veteran, or
- By the veteran's executor acting on behalf of a deceased veteran.
- Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in assisting the veteran or the deceased veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
- Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.
The North Carolina General Assembly limits access to Military Discharges due to the sensitive nature of these documents. Access to discharges which have been on record for over 80 years is not restricted.
VETERANS HONORS PROGRAM
The Transylvania County Register of Deeds office provides Veterans with a Photo ID card that entitles them a discount at participating businesses. We would like to offer you an opportunity to show your appreciation to our Veterans by participating in the program. The Veteran Photo ID or applicable military ID would be a requirement to qualify for any discount or incentive.
This is a free service to our Veterans and local businesses. Enrollment will be for a one year with an annual automatic renewal unless businesses elect to cancel within 30 days of the renewal date.
A listing of participating businesses can be found HERE.
Discounts may be a specified dollar amount or a percentage of the sale.
Questions? Contact Transylvania County Register of Deeds at (828)-884-3162.