Building Permitting and Enforcement

The Building Permitting and Enforcement website offers a wide array of services.  This site is intended to create a new level of customer service 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  General information from our downloadable forms to our frequently asked questions is available.  Guests may utilize the Permit and Inspection System to view permit information.  Contractors may utilize the system for online inspection requests, inspection status checks, viewing of inspector scheduling and an online mechanical/plumbing/electrical permit application.


We administer and enforce all State Building Codes and Local Ordinances.

Our Mission Statement

Our goal is to ensure the quality of life of those who live, work and visit Transylvania County by promoting safety in the regulation of the construction, use and occupancy of buildings and by taking a customer oriented approach to finding educated, cost effective solutions.

Customer Satisfaction Survey

Your input is very important and valuable to our department. To help us better serve you, we would appreciate your comments regarding our performance. Please take a moment to fill out this survey and let us know how we are doing.
**Click Here for Survey**


Contact Information for Inspections

98 E. Morgan Street
Brevard, NC 28712

Inspection Requests:
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Phone: 884-3209 Ext.2
Fax: 884-3275
Permit number required
Requests must be made by 4:00pm the business day prior.

Code Enforcement Officials Available:
Office hours: 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Field hours: 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM

Permits Issued
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

E-Mail Addresses:





What's New

The following amendment went into effect March 1, 2017.  It will affect a lot of sewer piping installations. 

Here is a link to the Building Code Council website and the minutes, where the amendment was passed.  Typically, they roll effective dates to the end of the next calendar year, but this one, due to all horizontal drilling going on for fiber and natural gas installations and the life-safety aspect, they chose to implement sooner.,%202016_.pdf

Item D – 2 Request by Ralph Euchner, representing NC Building Code Council, to amend the 2012 NC Plumbing Code, Section 306.2.4 as follows:

306.2.4 Tracer wire. For plastic sewer piping, an insulated copper tracer wire or other approved conductor shall be installed adjacent to and over the full length of the piping. Access shall be provided to the tracer wire or the tracer wire shall terminate at the cleanout between the building drain and building sewer. The tracer wire size shall be not less than 14 AWG and the insulation type shall be listed for direct burial.

Residential & Commercial Super Committees

Motion – David Smith / Second / Approved

Building Code Council

Effective March 1, 2017

The life safety aspect happens because when the gas company drills through an unmarked plastic sewer line, the drain may work for a while, but then when it stops up, a plumber is called to clean it out.  When they rod out or use root-cutting methods on the line, they can penetrate the gas line and now you have gas with a direct path into the structure.

Questions concerning this topic can be directed to our Chief Plumbing code consultant, Bill Moeller (919-647-0007) or Dan Dittman (919-647-0012)


Building Code

HospitalTransylvania County’s Building Code is mandated by the State of North Carolina and administered through the Engineering Division of the NC Department of Insurance. It is the same code that is used throughout the state. In NC, as in every area of the world, codes continually evolve in response to changes in materials, technologies and methods of construction. Principally, tragic and disastrous events influence changes to building codes. Such events that have influenced building code requirements in NC include hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and fire. The County currently enforces the 2012 North Carolina Building Codes and the 2014 National Electrical Code. Code may be viewed online at .

Annual Report

Click here to download the 2016  Annual Report (Please be patient, will take a few minutes to load).

Floodplain Development and Management     

Click here to view important floodplain development and management information for Transylvania County.

Residential Forms

Commercials Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: When is it necessary to obtain a building permit?
  • A: A permit is required anytime work is being done involving the structure, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and signs. North Carolina State Building Code states: “No person, firm, or corporations shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure, or service system without first obtaining a permit for such from the Building Department having jurisdiction.” A permit is also required whenever there is a commercial change of occupancy irregardless of whether alterations are planned or not.
  • Q: Are plans required for residential projects?
  • A: Most of the time no. However, some exceptions do apply.One set of NC design professional sealed plans are required for timber frame, log or alternative construction methods. One set of plans with the stamp of an approved agency is required for modular construction.
  • Q: Are plans required for commercial projects?
  • A: Two sets of NC design professional sealed plans are required for commercial projects exceeding $90,000 and/or 2500 square feet. Additional plans may be required by other agencies. Plans for smaller projects may be hand drawn to scale.
  • Q: What is needed to obtain a building permit?
  • A: For residential permits -- see residential form catalog, residential building permitting requirements. For commercial permits -- see commercial form catalog, commercial building permitting requirements.
  • Q: How long does it take to get my permit?
  • A: Review for a commercial permit can take as little as a few days to several weeks, depending on the size of the project. Review for a residential permit usually takes around three days. Manufactured home and mechanical plumbing, electrical permits are usually issued immediately or within 24 hours.
  • Q: As a homeowner can I be my own Contractor?
  • A: Yes, as owner of the property you may act as the general contractor, but with careful consideration of the laws governing you in such capacity. Failure to comply with the requirements shall result in revocation of the permit and possible fines. The owner does not have to be licensed by the state, but will need to sign an owner/builder statement. By doing so you will be as responsible and knowledgeable of the codes as would a general contractor. As an owner builder you may also do your own electrical, mechanical, and plumbing. You must first pass the test for each trade, given in our office at 1:00 PM Monday through Friday.
  • Q: How long is my permit valid and what is the cost to renew?
  • A: Your first inspection must be within 6 months from the date the permit is issued. In addition, the permit will expire if the time between the last inspection exceeds 12 months. If your permit expires, the renewal cost is half the cost of the permit fee.
  • Q: What is the County code requirements for?:
  • A: Wind Zone: 90 mph, Roof Load: 20 psf, Insulation: Zone 4, Frost Line: 12 inches
  • Q: What building codes are used? Are there any local ordinances? How do I obtain a copy of the codes?
  • A: We currently are using the 2012 North Carolina Building Codes and the 2014 NEC. The local ordinances apply to floodplain and sign permits. You may obtain a copy of the codes through the International Codes Council online at
  • Q: Is there any zoning?
  • A: Zoning is limited within the County, but more restrictive in the city limits and its extra territorial jurisdiction. There may also be sub-division restrictions.
  • Q: What is the height for a guard rail on a deck? What is the maximum space between pickets?
  • A: The height railing for a deck is 42” for commercial and 36” for residential. The maximum space between pickets shall be 4.
  • Q: How do I request an inspection?
  • A: Inspections requests may be made by telephone, via website or by fax, by 4:00 PM the day prior. You are required to have the permit number and job name with the request.
  • Q: How do I file a complaint?
  • A: We have a complaint form in our office to be completed.
  • Q: When do I get my Certificate of Occupancy?
  • A: The certificate of occupancy is issued for new structures only. The certificate of occupancy is issued after all required inspections have been approved, any additional fees are paid, and all required documentation is provided.
  • Q: How do I obtain a site address?
  • A: Call the Communications Department at 884-3108 for your site address. Your driveway must be cut in at street.
  • Q: What doesn't have to be completed for a residential certificate of occupancy to be issued?
  • A: Floor coverings, interior paint, interior doors (excluding garage and doors separating unheated spaces), gutters.

Helpful Tips and Links